Monday, December 20, 2010

Reflection

Could I breathe in the blessings you have for me?
And exhale the backbiting scrutiny I see?
Could I take in my hands the plans I've made,
write them down on paper,
stretch them on my bed,
sew them together,
and make a quilt I could use to keep comfort forever?
Can I read with illumination the book given from inspiration
Catapult it to revelation,
make it my occupation
to make it my heart's dedication,
Dedicate this life to you who died for me?
I tried running this race on my own,
But my feet got tired and I started walking.
If I came with three heavy bags that had two heavier bags attached,
Would you still carry me?
If I had scars, tears and scrapes,
Invisible to your eye but recognizable to my heart,
Would you still rescue me?
If you knew where I could be found but I was avoiding you,
evading you, ignoring you,
Would you still look for me?
Shout for me?
Scream for me?
Send someone after me?
See,
I've got this overwhelming need for someone to look after me
To avoid history repeating
To keep my feet solid,
My mind in solitary confinement.
See,
Sometimes my reflection doesn't reflect me,
Doesn't feel like the me I see
Need Him to intervene
When doubt and fear try to infiltrate me,
And I don't see the me you see,
trying to get me to wallow in self-pity,
thoughts coming to interrogate me
From being the bigger me,
The beautiful me,
Trying to make me forget His reflection eternally,
shines on me,
Don't need Talib Kweli to remind me of me.
Even with bags that try to hold weight on me,
Scars that try to disable me,
Breath that tries to escape from me,
Tears trying to blind me
From the me you see.
Can the mirror show your reflection in me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful as always.

-kindred