Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Heart Attack

Slow motion, fast heart,
Palpitations of a broken heart.
I've got broken fragments of my heart scattered across my pillow,
I call to them every night.
As night falls is where my peace comes
For with peace I find God when there's no one.
Slow motion, fast heart,
My heart bleeds for my dreams that have yet to find escape,
Putting pen to pad
Fingers to type,
Visions to inscribe
Hearts to ignite.
Whose says I can't be that one?
Breaking past the opinions of that "someone"
People putting hopes on pause because of that "someone"
Black and white lives lost because "someone" said they'd be no one...
So dumb.
My song is tied in the heart of my mother, grandmother, great-grandmothers
Who prayed as slaves, bodies in unmarked graves,
That song that stifles in my chest,
Burns like the heated fire that I lose sleep over,
No contest.
That same song is the same one that aids my heart to beat over and over,
Still I,
put in on the desk,
Put it aside; punch in my 9 to 5
No late nights, my body needs rest.
Distractions, dramas,
Slow motion, fast heart
Looking up, wondering when's my life gonna start?
But I'll start now
Because they're no time like the present time,
Older but not dead,
Sleep, now I'm awake
My example is at stake.
Trinity's sleeping in her bed
Mommy's up, knocking at that dream bed
Late nights, early mornings
Because forever God speaks to me
Slow motion, fast heart,
Rewind, press Start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me...and force me to think.

Please don't stop writing.