Thursday, June 5, 2008

Introduction

We all go through peaks and valleys in life. The key is to endure through the valley and climb higher to reach your peak. Anytime I'm making my way through the valley, my pen seems to run dry. Its what alot of people call writers block. These are the writings from an introspective writer. Poems. Short stories. Essays. And more. These are writings from those in between times...between the peaks and the valleys. The times when I didn't have writers block no more.

Some of you may remember the Part I of this poem. I performed it at the 2004 Ms. Black and Gold Pageant at Capital University in Columbus, Ohio. Shoutouts to Ladan and Lucia for listening to me recite that piece about 20 times before performing!

Although I wasn’t crowned, I felt like gold that day...and I continue to shine...

Writer's Block II

I've been trying to write this poem ya’ll,
but it seems I've got writers block
I'm trying to eloquently elaborate these thoughts to a state of equilibrium
Find peace amongst chaos, tranquility in confusion
some cleanliness among this mess.
I was hoping this free verse
would create an outlet to reverse this curse.
But this lack of inspiration’s got me stumped
and this is the first piece I've penned in months.
I’m trying to find inspiration around me
When I don’t even know what’s inside of me
Can’t see a future in front of me
Walking backwards,
Thinking I’m seeing clearly.
Silly me...thinking I was his queen...
Begging someone to listen
When I’ve lost the voice inside me.
So, now I’m down two:
Can’t see, can’t speak.
And even my third eye has failed me.
My pen used to be a resource
now it’s a distant memory.
So, how am I supposed to touch God’s designed destiny?
I’m trying to find inspiration around me
when I’m back at the same place I started
a premature butterfly, back in her cocoon
Feeding off my mother’s breast, longing for sustenance.
The world’s not supposed to taste like this...
This flavor is bitter,
not something I want to savor.
The world gave me lemons,
Its time I make lemonade,
Or an uptown:
That’s lemonade mixed with sweet tea...
Cause I’m Sweet T:
I need a refreshing, satisfying delight,
when this hot, humid condition has gotten the best of me.
I’m trying to find inspiration
Penning this piece, while my daughter’s looking up at me,
thinking, "Mommy, when you gonna feed me?"
Thinking to myself, "I’ll feed you constantly."
With courage to speak,
(I think I’m getting my voice back)
Wisdom to see
(I got my sight back too)
Everything I lacked,
it shall be given to you.
You’ll hear, you’ll touch, you’ll taste, you’ll see
in all clarity.
God saved my life when he gave me a queen
my writers block is no more
I’ll pen some more next week....

Peace.

1 comment:

Mei-Li said...

Tiff one thing I know is that God gave you a voice that needs to be heard and my hEARt misses. In the middle of Heart is EAR because yours listens and your pen speaks not just for you but for us too. You got your first subscriber! I'm at a cross roads in my life and your words are the best map ever, your trial my testimony. I love you girl and I support your gift.